Tuesday 3 June 2014

About the Lathe - Introduction of Centre Lathe

About the Lathe



THE METAL LATHE
The lathe is a machine tool in which a piece of metal, can be held and rotated while it is being shaped by a cutting toot. The Lathe is capable of producing cylindrical, conical, helical and spherical shapes. This type of lathe is often referred to as a centre lathe. Small machines are usually mounted on a bench or a stand are sometimes called bench lathes.




THE BED
The diagram above shows a sectioned view of the lathe bed which is well ribbed cast iron. The top of the bed is machined to form 'ways' upon which the saddle and tailstock slide. Most lathes have ' flame hardened' ways to resist ware and maintain accuracy through the life of the machine.

THE HEADSTOCK
The headstock is bolted securely to the 'inner ways' on the left hand end of the bed. The headstock provides a method of holding and rotating the work piece to be machined. It has several distinct parts which perform important operations. These parts include such operations as providing different turning speeds, a set of gears which enable automatic movement of the saddle along the ways and a mechanism for automatic thread cutting.

CARRIAGE
The carriage is the part of the lathe that supports and controls the movement of the cutting tool. The main parts of the carriage are the saddle and the apron. The apron is fastened to the saddle and hangs in front of the bed. The apron contains the hand wheel and lever for hand feed, and a clasp nut for automatic feed and thread cutting. The cross slide is fitted for cross feed of the cutting tool and is operated by hand feed.



THE TAILSTOCK
The tailstock is made up of 2 castings. One rests on the ways and may be clamped to the bed in any position so that work can be performed on jobs of different lengths. The other casting is fitted to the lower one and has a sideways movement that can be used for taper turning. The tailstock spindle is tapered to take large tapered drills and drill chucks etc. The spindle is moved in and out by a hand wheel and screw.



THE COMPOUND SLIDE
The Compound Slide rest is mounted on top of the cross slide and it has swivel base that rotates through 360 degrees. The compound slide holds the tool post which is moved by a feed screw.
The compound slide is also used to control the path of the cutting tool when short tapers are being turned in the lathe. The diagram below shows the compound set to 30 degrees. This means that the cut will be made at 30 degrees to the axis of the lathe.


TOOL POST
The tool post is a device for firmly clamping the cutting tool or tool holder to the lathe. The tool post is fixed to the top of the compound slide. Below is a standard tool post and the square tool post which can hold 4 different cutting tools.


THREE JAW CHUCK
The three Jaw Chuck is 'self-centering’. The jaws all move together and are always the same distance from the centre. This chuck is designed to hold round or hexagonal work. The movement of the jaws is controlled by a scroll plate which is rotated by a chuck key. The drawing below shows a 3 jaw self-centering chuck.




FOUR JAW CHUCK
The 4 jaw chuck has jaws that can be moved independently of each other. This chuck is used to hold irregular or odd shaped work. It requires careful setting up. It holds work firmer and work can be made to run perfectly true with the aid of a dial indicator.


TOOL HOLDERS
There are straight, left, right styles of tool holders. The straight is for general turning, the right hand for facing operations and for turning work close to tailstock and the left hand for turning work close to the headstock.


LATHE TOOLS
The cutting tools or bits commonly used in M.D.T. workshops are made from high speed steel. They are available in 5 mm to 25 mm square section and 50 mm to 150 mm lengths.


The shape of the cutting tool is very important. The tool must be ground so that it is sharp enough to force its way into the work but must retain sufficient material behind the cutting edge so that it can withstand the pressure on it when it is cutting.
The following diagram illustrates the angles and clearances that should be considered when grinding a tool for a specific job.


CENTRES
The headstock and tailstock spindles are bored out to a standard morse taper to receive headstock and tailstock centres whose shanks are also morse tapers. The points are ground to an angle of 60 degrees to fit the countersink section of a centre drill.
The tailstock centre supports the right hand end of the work. The work rotates on the bearing surface of this centre so it must be hardened and well lubricated.
Live centres are used in the tailstock and have built - in roller or ball bearings which enable the point of the centre to rotate with the work.


CENTRE DRILL
Work that is to be supported by a centre must be drilled to fit the centre and to fit the bearing surface. This is usually done with a centre drill which is a combination drill and countersink drill. The cone angle matches the lathe centres.











7 comments:

  1. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with LFDS after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:Le_Meridian Funding Service  (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of LFDS at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a blog to read out for sure. I found you have a really awesome writing style.Its simple and easy to understand.Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you for all the hard work!
    Drill machine Repair texas , CNC Machining center repair texas

    ReplyDelete


  3. You can't believe what i just got,… A loan of $ 60,000. I have been looking for a loan for the past 2years until i was referred to a legitimate lender. Though it was not that easy to approve my loan, as you know nothing good comes easy. But I got my loan within 4 hours i got my loan, and before i knew it, the loan was transferred to me. please friends, don't let any body deceive you and scam you for this is real. Contact them via Email: gaincreditloan1@gmail.com OR You can also whatsApp them at: at +1-(901) 676-0641 (WhatsApp Only)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought my self a Clovis 14/20 EBS MERLI SA center lathe. connected it to a VSD and i have used it a few times, but the chuck slows down if i take a 3mm cut and the engaging lever for forward and reverse does not engage correctly.I have to keep pressure on it or the chuck stops. the lead screw for thread cutting wouldn't engage until i adjusted the left hand side clutches to notches up. Now the lead screw engages but the engaging lever still does not engage correctly and not all speeds rotate the chuck. Please is there anyone out there that can advise me on what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post about Lathe Machine introduction. Thank you for sharing this knowledge with us. Recently i purchased lathe Machine from Surelia Industries.

    ReplyDelete